Financial Documents for I-20

To issue an I-20 form, which is required to apply for a student's visa, the university needs to verify that you have funds to support your education. For this, you are required to send certain financial documents. You might also be required to fill in a university specific Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR) form.

You need to show liquid funds which would atleast cover the cost of the first year of your university expenses. There are various ways in which you could be supporting your education. These may include family funds, personal funds, scholarships from home country, university assistantships or any other sponsorships.

You need to send proof for all your funding sources to the university. If your means of support is family funds, you need to get bank certificates of your sponsoring family members. You would also need to get an affidavit of support signed by your family members certifying their ability to sponsor your education.

Please note, while mentioning family funds, it is highly recommended not to include any other sponsors than your parents and grandparents (paternal or maternal). Taking support from any of your uncles, aunts or friends may create hassles during your visa process.

The I-20 may take almost 4-6 weeks to be processed and delivered to you. So, it is always advisable to plan early and send your documents well before time. You can only book your visa date after you have your I 20 form from the university you plan to attend.


Post a Comment

Get all the latest post updates in your mailbox